Friday, February 26, 2010

Seven years of college down the drain

It seems like just a funny line out of "Animal House," but I'm living it right now. I never thought a master's degree would hinder my job search, but I'm beginning to realize that it may be doing just that.

I've talked to several human resources people, and several have made comments about being "overqualified" or "out of our salary range" and I've had to practically beg for an interview.

I'm almost to the point where I want to lie on my resume, but that really presents a moral and ethical dilemma. If I only say that I have a bachelor's degree, that could open a few more doors, but if a company that hires me discovers the lie, I could be terminated.

The problem is that I'm at a serious crossroads in my career path. I've got experience in my chosen profession, but I took a few years off to pursue other interests. Now I want back in, but some prospective employers have thought that my skills are rusty or outdated. There are those who think that I would have higher salary demands.

I have seven years of top quality education, and I'm sitting on the sidelines and my most productive years are in danger of being wasted. I don't know what to do. There's a faint voice, coming from far away.

"Toga... toga... toga..."

2 comments:

  1. Boy, I feel your pain, and to make matters worse, I'm getting more education!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry dude. However, I would not lie on the resume. It could be worse. You could have a PhD and trying to get a real job. That would make you over educated and lacking all practical skills for being employed by an organization!

    ReplyDelete