Sunday, September 29, 2013

What I know after 12 years of marriage

On our anniversary I wanted to share some facts about my lovely bride and what I know about making a relationship work.

Ashley works harder than anyone I know, even though everyone already thinks she's amazing at her job.

She dances in the grocery store aisles: I give her a dollar to stop. This happens so often that I think it's really what's causing the economy to stall.

Our biggest fight was six years ago over how to load the dishwasher. It was a doozie. And it was the only fight I ever won. So now, I load the dishwasher 100% of the time. #Winner (Update: she loaded the dishwasher this morning while I was dozing and did a damn fine job.)

She's a better parent than I am.

If I could turn back time, I'd propose in some fantastically creative way that required tons of planning, prep time, props and people. Like a flash mob, but you know... cool.

She is WAY more forgiving than I am. WAAAAAAAAYYYYY more forgiving.

A lot of people don't know this, but Ashley and I broke up for a while when we were dating. I call it "being on a break" (a la "Friends"). Ash calls it "the six months I came to my senses."

She doesn't give herself enough credit. Ever.

I would do anything just to make her laugh.

Her taste and mine in music and movies don't really jive because she likes stuff that came out after 1997 and "Twilight."

Ashley makes great meatloaf, the best pumpkin pie and really good-looking babies.

She doesn't realize that she could have done SO much better than me. But don't tell her.

I can't think of a single time that she's ever said "No" when someone asked her for help.

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. Choosing to be with her was not one of them.

1 comment:

  1. She really is THAT awesome. I've known her since 6th grade, and this kindness, creativity, and hard-core effort have always been natural to her. I remember your break, I remember your joys and sorrows. But I also know she's found a deep happiness with you that couldn't have been possible with any other partner. You two are a perfect fit. And now, as I embark on my first year of marriage, I'm ever so grateful to have such a beautiful example to follow.

    ReplyDelete