Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What do salmon and Stevie Ray Vaughan have in common?

Not much, really. But bear with me. I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1984 when he opened for Huey Lewis. Like most people, I was there to hear "I Want a New Drug." Not blues. It wasn't until later that I developed my appreciation.

I didn't really like salmon until later, either. But I now have an appreciation for it that runs deep, much like hearing SRV play after not hearing him for a while. I learn something new.

I did that tonight when I hot smoked some salmon on the grill. It was fantastic. You can probably do this in the oven on cedar planks. The smoke definitely brings something to the party.

Lemon herb smoked salmon

Usually, I think people get into trouble with salmon by overdoing it. The fish should be the star. That's the great thing about this marinade; it's simple, bright and flavorful, yet doesn't overpower the salmon.



Apple wood is great with salmon, so if you're into the smoke, soak some apple chips or chunks in water and get some charcoal ready: This just became my go-to recipe for salmon.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 tablespoon parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 pounds salmon fillets

Directions for cooking

  1. With a whisk, combine olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl. Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade. 
  2. Place salmon in a shallow dish and pour the remaining marinade over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Light the coals. 
  4. When the coals are ready move them to one side of the grill. Throw in your apple wood and replace the grate.
  5. Fold some aluminum foil and cover the cool side of the grill.
  6. Place the salmon skin side down.
  7. Open the vents on the top of the lid or put it cockeyed so the smoke hits the salmon
  8. Cook, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade, until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment