Thursday, March 4, 2010

I know it's just corn, but it's been on my mind

Ashley and I have been reading about the evils of canned foods. We're trying to take better care to eat right and save money where we can. I didn't really think I'd turn into one of THOSE people, but this is probably going to stick. If this kind of diatribe annoys you, don't read it because I'd hate to think I lost a friend over corn, but here goes.

Cost Last week, we bought a 5 lb. bag of frozen corn at Sam's for $4.00 or something like that. A case of eight cans of Green Giant is about $10.00. This is by no means scientifically deciphered, but I'm guessing that's a saving of about half.
Winner... frozen.

Nutrition I looked up the nutrition information today. I didn't know if the corn we get is brine packed or whole kernel drained, solid, but... sheesh... whatever. The canned stuff was 15 more calories per serving. Everything else seemed to be negligible.
Winner... frozen.

The Kicker Wait... I probably need to mention sodium. THIS IS THE KICKER. Frozen corn has 1 mg of sodium while the canned stuff has 273 mg. I've never been one to worry about sodium, but everyone is telling me I should so I'm making this one of the factors by which I judge my future corn purchases.
Winner... frozen.

Hold it. What about taste?
Glad you asked. Frozen corn tastes A LOT better. The texture is better too. It's not mushy, which makes it more versatile in recipes. Any time I've tried to make anything with canned corn as an ingredient, I've been disappointed.

In the comparison between frozen and canned corn, I haven't seen any reason, other than nuclear apocalypse, to keep buying the canned stuff. I'm trying to come up with something snarky or funny with which to end this blog, but there's nothing really funny about corn.

3 comments:

  1. You've sold me on frozen corn.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely, there is a baseball reference somewhere in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for not Hathaway-ing, that would have been too obvious.

    ReplyDelete