Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's like Captain Crunch, but it makes you poop

My wife and I have been trying to work out regularly and eat better. Both of these things are challenging, but doable.

I refuse to eat Shredded Wheat. Dennis Wolfberg's stand up routine ruined me for Fiber One, calling it a "nuclear laxative in a box." We've tried a couple of the Kashi cereals, and what they lack in flavor, they make up for in health benefits of regularity.  It's not that they lack flavor, it's just that they don't taste like cereal did when we were kids. Remember how good Count Chocula was? Or the best part of Fruity Pebbles... the milk at the end? Oh, yeah.

As I was walking down the cereal/snack food/cleaning supply/car tire aisle at Sam's Club yesterday, I saw a Kashi offering which I hadn't seen. It is called "Honey Sunshine" and looks like Cap'n Crunch. I took a chance.

It's really pretty good. It doesn't have the same SNAP, since that shiny, sugar lacquer finish (non-nutritive food varnish in Griswold-speak) associated with Cap'n Crunch is probably not something the organically-minded Kashi wants to include in its cereal. Is it wrong to miss that raw, mangled feeling  in the roof of your mouth when you eat Cap'n Crunch? The trade off is having to go to the bathroom once or twice more a day and the raw feeling associated with it. (Yes, I know it's gross, but it's true.)

In cereal, as in life, there are trade-offs. While the cereal is cheaper at Sam's, I'll end up spending a little more to buy a box of the Cap'n Crunch just to dig out the Crunchberries.

1 comment: